Thursday, October 4, 2012

AMERICA'S SOUL IS BURIED IN THE GRAVEYARD OF EXPIRED ENERGY DRINKS

I unearthed a plastic storage container from my closet with some childhood items in it

One of the items is a book I don't remember reading or buying.

The book has a bunch of short stories written in a southern affect.

It seems extremely shitty.

Hidden in the pages of the book was a knife.

So the book isn't so shitty, I guess.

The knife has a serrated edge.

There is a heaviness in it.

Manufactured in Oregon by a company named Gerber.

A triple x (XXX) stamp is on one side of the blade near the hilt.

The last time I carried this thing I was a teenager.

And homeless.

I stole it from a friend.

I felt really bad when I did that.

The kid's name was Wally.

He was the child of divorced parents.

His father owned a business reconstituting pallets.

His mother had large breasts, red hair and missing teeth.

She rarely left her bedroom.

Both were heroin junkies.

I remember one day I stopped by his mother's house in SE Portland.

Tired from walking on the streets.

Just wanting to sleep.

Wally was there smoking weed like he always was.

I think we were both 15 at the time.

He was really excited about something and wanted to show me what it was.

There was a large leather binder resting near his bong.

He opened it.

Inside were 14 knives.

All different styles and shapes lining both sleeves.

They were shiny all in their own right.

A skinhead friend had stolen them from a job site Wally told me.

I asked if I could have a knife.

"No."

He needed them he said.

The binder was closed.

His mother's weak voice came from behind a bedroom door.

She sounded like she hadn't slept in days.

Wally disappeared for a few minutes.

During this time I opened the binder again.

Out of the many I selected the least desirable.

And placed it in my right pocket with the tip pointing upwards.

The silver tab jeans I wore had accomodating pockets.

They were useful for stealing supermarket food and krylon cans.

Something I did frequently during those times.

I closed the binder just before Wally returned.

He said his mother wasn't feeling well and that I should leave.

I was really worried he would suddenly feel nostalgic and inspect the knives again.

He let me take a lungful of medicated smoke instead of saying goodbye.

I walked outside without a known destination

The rain broke my high.

I fell asleep in a park with my back against a handball court.

The knife clutched in my fist.

I still feel bad for taking the weapon.

But feel grateful for having it now.

I think I'll need to carry it once more.

Maybe soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment